-
June 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM
#11
Inactive Member
I wore Buster Brown shoes when I was little--under the age of 5! I seem to remember that they were my favorites, and that I insisted on wearing nothing else. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Joy
-
June 6th, 2004, 03:17 AM
#12
Inactive Member
Thank you for all you'r help. It is so nice to have you to turn to, when the difference in culture and history confuses me [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
September 12th, 2004, 01:28 AM
#13
HB Forum Owner
We were talking about Buster Brown style outfits and comics a l-o-n-g time ago, but I just recently found out about the Buster Brown radio show. I thought Samantha fans might enjoy listening to it, though it came much later than the comic strip (1940s, during Molly's time). The show is very different from the original comic strip, though you can see a picture of Buster Brown on the page below.
There is a free full-length radio show in MP3 format available at the below site:
http://www.otrcat.com/smilined.htm
Our family is getting "into" these old radio shows. Oddly we're finding it's nice to just listen to something rather than have to both listen and watch. This is a huge benefit for anyone who wants to knit or crochet or, in my case, doesn't like to wear her glasses! [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
September 12th, 2004, 01:36 AM
#14
Inactive Member
I can remeber a store here in town that sold Buster Brown clothes in the 1970's when I was a kid.
carol
-
September 12th, 2004, 02:23 AM
#15
Inactive Member
I wore Buster Browns too! Remeber the box as well, it was white and has the boy with the dog, and the boy was smiling with a wink and had a lollypop in his right hand!
I also wore the clothes, I remember dresses of them when we used to go to Bloomies when I was little. Back then my Father had a very good paying job! and we shoped in Bloomingdales, Alexanders and Macy's all the time.
-
September 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM
#16
Inactive Member
Gee, I must be old too. I often call my youngest grandson "Buster Brown." Does anyone remember "plunk your magic twanger Froggy." I know it sounds totally stupid, but it was a famous line from the Buster Brown sponsored radio show, in the late 40's or early 50's I would guess. I just saw an internet article where the Buster Brown company is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.
Karla
-
September 12th, 2004, 03:09 PM
#17
Inactive Member
I thought it was called a Buster Brown dress due to the bow at the neck like the cartoon character.
-
September 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM
#18
HB Forum Owner
After listening to the radio file, I realized it is a somewhat scary fairy tale! Although it?s G-rated and meant for children, it might be scary for kids, so listen with caution. To help out for those interested in the shoe ads, Buster Brown shoe ads are at the beginning, around 7:30 minutes in, 18 minutes, and at the end (around 26:40 minutes in) of the sound file. As Kathy mentioned, the ads say that Buster Brown and his dog Tige live inside of your shoes. It must be crowded in there! [img]wink.gif[/img] ["That's my dog Tige. He lives in a shoe. I'm Buster Brown. Looks for me in there, too!"]
I wanted to clarify that this is a really old thread (last post from June) that I pulled up because I found this radio file:
http://www.otrcat.com/smilined.htm
I didn't want to start a new thread since we'd already been talking about it. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Froggy is pictured and mentioned on the page, too! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] And he's in the radio file beginning around 20 minutes in.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 12, 2004 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
-
September 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM
#19
Inactive Member
We all know that I am old, but I remember seeing the Buster Brown Shoe commercials on television and telling my Mom that I wanted THOSE shoes. Do not know if I ever got them but thank for remembering the "slogan" Kathy. I used to love that commercial. I did not even know about the comic books or radio, I just thought that he lived in a "shoe" with that cute little dog.
Now I am not as old as Samantha so maybe that is what PC was referring to but I always thought it was because the dress must have looked like the little outfit that he wore. It never dawned on me that she was so much older than I am.........
Thank god that someone is older than me!!!!!!
Susan
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks